Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!!! May God bless you and your family!!! Here is the Easter special roll as Easter Hot Cross Buns and Bunny and Nest filled with gems! :) Thank you so much Gayathri and Priya who suggested it for baking eggless group.
Here are the ingredients as follows!
- 2 Tsp Yeast( I had used Red star Yeast Quick Rise packet)
- 1 Cup warm milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp of salt
- 1/4 Tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp of ground cloves
- 1/4 Tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of currants
- 1/4 cup of Tutti fruity(Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest
For Making the glaze
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 Tsp of milk.
- Mix the yeast along with warm milk about 2 Tablespoons and white sugar.Whisk well and keep aside till it gets frothy and foamy
- Add the dry ingredients such as flour,brown sugar,salt and all spices and grated lemon zest to it. Combine all together and knead the dough by adding milk little by little till you get smooth and elastic soft dough.
- Add the currants and tutty fruity to it and knead for some more time.
- Knead well till it is soft and smooth.
- Grease the butter into the stainless steel bowl and place the dough into it
- Cover it with kitchen towel and let it rise about 1 to 2 hours in the oven with light on.
- Once it is risen up and it is ready to make bun. Pre heat the oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Punch down and start to divide the dough into halves..
- Take 2 small balls of the same size. make it into thin roll like log of the same size. Pinch together the edges and braid it like that and form into a circle.
- Take the 3 small balls of the same size make it into a thin roll like log.Pinch all together to form three and braid it like that and form into a circle.
- Remaining dough make into medium balls of the same size for hot cross buns. and 2 balls for bunny.one ball to make it thin roll like log and form a spiral for bunny's body. and other ball make it round face and form into a slightly cone and cut it with scissors on the edge of the cone to get bunny' ears. Place the rolls on the baking sheet,cover it by kitchen towel and allow it to rise for another 60 minutes
- Once it is risen up,Take a scissors and cut into cross on the round buns. Take few tablespoons of butter along with little milk, Mix well and apply on the top of the rolls by using pastry brush and bake it for about 15 to 20 minutes or till you get light brown in color.
- Allow it to cool on the cooling rack.
- Once cooled,Add the chocolate gems into the braided nests.
- Combine the powdered sugar,vanilla extract and milk till you get smooth consistency.Transfer the glaze into the piping bag and put cross on the top of the round buns to get Hot Cross Bun :)