Here is the Baking Partners Challenge #5 by an amazing creative Swathi on selecting 3 recipes for this month and I was selected as Neapolitan Cake as it is great for Christmas day as enjoying colorful spongy cake softened with whipped cream over it.It tastes so good!!! It is great idea to bake it on before X mas arrives :) Am thankful to Suja for giving this recipe and selected by Swathi on Baking partners group :) It was fun :)
I have made the same ingredients as no changes are made and did changed for filling by replacing gelatin for corn flour..
Recipe source: Susan Kelliher Ungaro (ed.)Family Circle-Best Ever Cakes and Cookies, p. 214.
For Sponge Cake :
- 1 cup cake flour(not self rising)
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Green and red food coloring
- 1 Tsp unflavored Gelatin.( You can replace by adding 1 Tsp of corn flour)
- 3 Tablespoons Confectioners sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Strawberry jam or your choice of jam.
- 1/2 to 1 cup Sweetened dessicated coconut flakes
Here is the step by step wise of Neapolitan Cake :
Pre heat oven to 350 degree F. Coat three loaf 9 1/4x 5 ¼ inch loaf pan with non stick cooking spray and line with wax paper
- Whisk all the dry ingredients as given.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks and keep aside.
- Take a big bowl, Add egg whites,sugar ,1/4 tsp of tartar
- Beat until it gets peak form.
- Divide the batter into 3 cups one is added by green food coloring and other is read and remaining white batter.
- Transfer each batter into the greased 9 inch loaf pan and bake it for about 10 to 12 minutes.(Notes : If having only one then go one by one adding one batter at a time.once baked then allow the pan to cool.then pour the 2nd batter and so on.)
- You ll get 3 baked colored sponge cake.Allow it to cool on the cooling rack.
- For making whipping cream,I added Cornflour to the heavy cream and sugar and beat until peak forms.
- Each layer of sponge cake,spread strawberry jam or your choice of jam
- Apply whipped cream on the covered jam of each layer.
- Put the next cake on the top of the cake.
- Spread the jam over it.
- Spread the whipped cream over it
- .Finally add the last cake on the top of the 2 cakes. Spread the whipping cream over it and all the sides.
- Decorate it as you like.On the top garnish it with sweetened coconut flake .
- Neapolitan cake is ready with fresh whipped cream and my homemade decorated chocolate hearts and written s MERRY X MAS :)
If you are using gelatin instead of corn flour to keep stabilized the whipped cream then go for it as below
Sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup of cream and let it stand for one minute to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat.With a mixer on medium speed beat the remaining 1 1/2 cup cream and confectioners sugar till it thickens and is frothy. Add gelatin mixture. Beat until stiff peaks form
Enjoy Wishing you and your family MERRY X MAS in advance!!!!
Linking this to Baking Partners group :)
Linking this entry to Raven's CookEatDelicious & hosted by Princy's SpicyFoods
Food Flavors Event
linking it to Foodomania’s Christmas Cook-Off Contest