Dear Friends :)
I am very surprised to see the challenge in Baking Partners group by looking "Macaroons" It is very challenging task to do. Am so thrilled to do it and It was so fun and experimented it after learn from our friends.Thanks to Vidhya and Swathi for the amazing selection on Macaroons.It is super challenging task and of course very delicious macaroons:)
Here is the recipe adapted form Martha Stewart "French Macaroons"
Here are the Ingredients:
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Cup Powdered /Icing sugar
- 2 Egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
I made Chocolate ganache
- 1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or 2 semi sweet chocolate bars chopped finely.
- Pulse the almond flour and powdered sugar for a few seconds.
- Sieve it twice.
- Take a clean stainless bowl,add the egg whites into the bowl and beat it until it is frothy with a whisk attachment of an electric stand mixer or had mixer.
- Once it is frothy add 1 Tablespoon Sugar to it and beat it well until it is foamy and shiny.
- Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon sugar to it and beat it until the peak forms straight no bend.It is the right consistency.
- Add the dry mixture in 3 additions into the wet mixture.
- Fold it gently by using spatula.
- Do not over mix.Make sure it is well incorporated.
- Line a parchment paper on the baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch round tip and pipe 3/4 inch round 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet,dragging the pastry tip to the side of rounds than forming peak.
- Tap it for almost 3 times to avoid air bubbles.
- Let it stand at room temperature for about 15 to 30 minutes.Reduce the oven temp to 320 F
- Bake it for about 10 minutes meanwhile rotate the baking sheet halfway until the macaroons are firm and crisp.
- Allow it to cool on the cooling rack.
- Take out the macaroons gently to avoid sticky.
- On a medium heat,put the cream on the saucepan to heat and not over boil.Pour the cream into the semi sweet chocolate pieces bowl.Allow it to sit till it is well combined by stirring it.Allow it to sit on room temperature or keep in the fridge till it is firm.Transfer the filling batter to the piping bag.
- Sandwich the 2 cooled same size macaroons with 1 Tsp filling of your choice.
- Serve immediately.
My Experiment tips what I have learn from my friends.
I had used homemade almond flour.Take 1 cup of almonds and soak in warm water for about 15 minutes.Peel off the skin and allow it to dry.Once dried, pulse the almonds into the mixie or food processor for few seconds.MAke sure it does not stick to the sides of the mixie jar. If it does sticky then place the almond flour on the parchment paper to get dry.Allow it to dry for almost 1 day.
Once it is completely dry without any oil.Pulse it again for few seconds on the next day.Once it is powdered.place it back on the parchment paper for one more day. Sieve it well.Almond flour is ready. Or you can buy almond meal from Stores.
Meanwhile break the egg whites separated from egg yolks. Place the egg whites into the clean bowl and keep it in the fridge covered with tissue paper and allow it to breathe.I had kept the egg whites in the fridge for about 4 days.That is called as an Aged Egg whites.It is very important for macaroons.On Baking macaroons day, I had kept the egg whites on the counter top at room temperature for about 8 hours.