Am trying out to do different shapes or colors for cookies! My daughter loves cookies and I am looking for a different one.If your kids or friends got bored of eating plain simple cookie?Then go for this and I made a combination of chocolate and vanilla swirl cookies coated with colorful sugars :) Here is the picture as I made it for my 1st attempt :) Am sure kids will love it and it ll be very great to carry out for any celebration or treats especially Christmas.So cute design :)Isn't it?
Here is the recipe as follows
- 1/2 Cup(1 Stick) Unsalted Butter(Room Temperature)
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Ounce Semi sweet chocolate bars or 1 Tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons Milk.
For coating the dough:
Use sprinkles colored sugars from Local stores or any sprinkles of desired shapes.
Here is the picture shown as step by step wise
Here is the picture shown as step by step wise
- Using an Electric stand mixer or hand mixer Take a wide bowl,Add the butter and sugar into the bowl and beat it until it is fluffy.Add 1 egg at a time.Mix well.Add vanilla extract and scrape down all the sides by using spatula
- Sift the flour,baking powder and salt to another bowl.Keep aside.
- Add the flour on to the wet mixture and mix well until it is well incorporated.
- Add 1 Tablespoon Milk to it.
- Make sure that the dough should not be more sticky.
- If you feel the dough is sticky add little flour and make a pitiable smooth dough as shown in the pic.
- Divide the dough into halves.
- Add Cocoa powder along with 1 Tablespoon Warm milk to it.Pour it little till you get chocolatey covered dough.If you still find the chocolate dough sticky then add flour to it.
- If you are using chocolate bars ,take a small microwave proof bowl,Put the chocolate pieces with 1 tablespoon milk to it.Let it melt into the oven for about 30 seconds.Once it is cooled and completely melt.Add to the white batter and knead it till you get smooth chocolate cookie dough.
- Let the 2 doughs be wrapped by using plastic wrap and set it to the fridge for about 30 minutes or it is firm
- Once 30 minutes has been elapsed.Take 2 sheets of wax paper,Place the wax paper sheet on the work surface.
- Place the white dough onto it.
- Then cover it with another wax paper sheet on the top of the dough.
- Take a rolling pin make it flatten about 1/4 inch.at least rectangular shaped
- Similarly follow the same for chocolate dough.
- Once you flatten both the doughs.Both the doughs should be exact of the same size.
- Allow it to freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Take out both doughs from the freezer,place the white dough on the work surface.Remove the wax paper on the top.
- Apply the water very little on the white dough evenly by using pastry brush to help the chocolate dough to stick together.
- Take out the chocolate dough and remove the bottom of the wax paper carefully.
- Place the chocolate dough on the white dough by removing the top of the wax paper of the chocolate dough carefully.
- Place it both the doughs of the same size.
- Roll it tightly with the help of the wax paper lying on the bottom of the white dough as earlier.
- Cut out the sides of the dough
- Wrap it well and set it to the refrigerator for about 2 hours or freezer for about 1 hour.
- If you are planning to follow the same as I did for added colors to the cookie dough.
- Cut the cookie roll into 3 as same as size.
- Wrap the 2 remaining cookie rolls and set back to the freezer for few minutes while you are making 1st batch.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Line a baking sheet using parchment paper.
- place the sprinkles colored sugar on the wax paper of your choice on colored sugars.
- Take 1 cookie roll,Brush it with water and allow it to roll on the sugared colors on the wax paper.
- Slice it as shown in the picture.
- Bake it for about 10 minutes.
- Once the cookie is firm.Allow it to cool on the cooling rack.It ll be hard as like cookie.
- Do the remaining 2 batches of cookie rolls for adding 2 more colors to it.as shown in the picture.
- IF you want only one colored sugar,then take out the whole cookie rolls,Brush it with water gently.
- Spread the colored sugar of your choice on the wax paper
- Place the whole cookie roll without cutting.Roll it with sprinkles colored sugar evenly.
- Slice it.
- Place it on the baking sheet and set to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool on the cooling rack.
- Serve it
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Enjoy it with colored swirl cookies :)
Happy Baking :)
Awaiting to hear your comments and your experience at home :) Am sure your kids will get surprise by seeing colorful and cute design of cookies :)