Charlotte Russe is an old name as redirected as Charlotte.It is originated from Europe especially France! It is one of the classical rare recipe made by older generations in the 1900's.
Its a type of dessert that can be served warm or cold.Sponge cake or Ladyfingers biscuits can be used to line a mold which is then filled with a fruit puree or custard.and the topping can be added any fruits of your favorite choice.
We just loved it and it has lots and lots of fruits based on your choice.
- Ladyfingers Biscuits (I had used ladyfingers biscuits for my Tiramisu) You can follow the recipe here.
- Sponge Cake of your choice either egg-less or egg based cake preferably 6 or 8 inch cake..
- Agar Agar Powder or Agar Agar (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese (If u want to replace you can add 2 egg yolks.)
- 1/2 cup sugar divided.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Cup whipped cream
- Any fruits of your choice such as thinly sliced apples,strawberries,kiwis and peaches too.
- Powdered sugar for dusting.
1.For Making the base.
- Keep the wax paper or parchment paper on the spring-foam round pan about 6 inch or 8 inch.Place the ladyfingers biscuits/1 layer baked sponge cake on the bottom and all the sides.
2. For making the Filling:
- In a medium saucepan on a medium heat,Add 1/2 cup milk and allow it to boil. Add 1/4 cup sugar and stir well till you get taste whether sugar is enough.
- Turn off the heat ,Add vanilla extract to it.Allow it to warm,
- Cover it with lid.
- Meanwhile add Agar Agar powder into the water as per follow the instructions in the package.
- Meanwhile Whisk the mascarpone cheese with 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl.Whisk well till you get pale in color.
- Pour the milk-sugar-extract mixture to the egg mixture while stirring in three additions.Make sure it is well incorporated.
- Again heat the milk egg mixture(Custard mixture) on a very medium low heat and keep stirring constantly till you see the bottom part gets thickened.Do not overcook or boil.
- Finally add agar agar powder mixture to the custard mixture. Let it sit for about 5 mins
- Using colander remove the unwanted particles after pouring the milk-egg mixture into a saucepan,
- Take ice-water in a bowl, Place the medium bowl which has custard mixture on the ice-water bowl.Keep stirring till you get thickened mixture.
- Add whipped cream to the custard mixture and fold gently until it is well incorporated.
- Pour the whipped cream-custard mixture to the base of the mold till it reaches the top.
- Keep it in the fridge till you get the filling set.for about 1 hour.
For making Topping:
Wash well and slice as your own design of any fruits as you like.I made the topping such as apple and strawberries.
Place the fruits on the top of the charlotte cake.Garnish it with powdered sugar on the top to give a good look
Serving options : Serves best when cold or at room temperature.