Iam a member of South and North Challenge.Here I belong to South and have to make variety of recipes given by members who belong to North and vice versa..It is simple and interesting.
Sanoli of North group hosted this month as Bengali Sweet Labongo Latika which is famous for Durga pooja..I missed many challenges and this is first time for me to participate..It is fun and very challenging.Thanks to Sanoli of Sanoli's Kitchen for the wonderful recipe of this month and Heartfelt thanks to Divya Pramil who is the creator of SNC(South North Challenge)
Labong/Lavang means cloves.Its pastry dough with khoya stuffing and after making shaped and insert it with clove .It is deep fried,drained and coated with sugar syrup.
Here is the recipe as follows!
For the Dough
- 2 Cups of All purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Powdered sugar
- A pinch of saffron soaked in warm water (About a Tbsp)
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp of Ghee
- A pinch of Baking soda
- Warm Water to knead the dough.
- Oil- To deep fry
- 15 to 20 cloves
For the Filling
- 200 gms of Khoya
- 4 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup raisins
For Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tsp Rose water.
For the dough:
- In a wide bowl,add all the ingredients as listed as above the ingredient box of dough.
- Knead gently to get soft dough like poori dough.
- Let it rest for about 20 mins
For making the filling
- Take a medium frying pan,add the grated khoya with sugar on medium heat.
- Keep stirring continuously
- Add warm water and nutmeg powder and keep stirring it with wooden spoon
- Stir well and let the mixture gets thickened.
- Once the mixture gets thickened and leave the sides of the pan.
- Let it cool.
- Make into balls.
For Making Sugar syrup
- Add he sugar and water into the medium sauce pan on medium heat
- Allow it boil till your thumb and forefinger gets 2 string consistency.
- Add rose water
- Stir well.
- Let it reduce the flame to low.and make sure it is warm
- Make the lemon sized balls from the dough
- Fill it with rolling pin to make a circular shaped.
- Place the stuffing ball on the center of the circle shaped dough.
- Place the little water with index finger over the circular dough to avoid the fall or opening while deep frying.
- Fold inside from the two opposite sides and repeat again the other 2 sides to form a pocket
- Seal the pockets with clove.
- Set aside till you get the stuffing and dough done.
- Make sure the oil is hot,put the prepared dough into the oil
- Cook till it gets golden brown in color
- Drain it with tissue paper.
- Put the labong latika into the sugar syrup till it is absorbed for about 4 to 5 minutes
- Transfer the sugar coated labong latika on the cooling rack.
- Make sure its coated well with sugar
- Allow it cool.
- Transfer it into the serving plate.
- It can be stored in an air tight container.
Linking this entry to SNC :)