Herewith I made Linzer cookies for the Valentine's Day..thanks a lotz Swathi of Baking Partners Challenge.It was so tricky to get into shapes and overall the taste was lovely.... We enjoyed it..I took heart shaped cookie cutter to get into heart shaped cookies. It was so good with strawberry jam and its best for valentine's day
Linzer cookies is made with pure almond flavored cookies and makes a sandwich them together with layered strawberry jam
Here are the ingredients for this recipe
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp of All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Ground Almond powder
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 Tsp almond extract
- 1 Tsp of grated lemon zest or 1/4 tsp of lemon extract
- 1 Tsp of grated orange zest or 1/4 Tsp of orange extract
- Strawberry jam or Fruit Spread or Fruit perserves
- Powdered sugar
For the Cookie batter Process
- Soak the almonds in water for atleast 30 mins.Peel off the skin and let it dry.Once dried,blanch almonds into fine powder along with 1 Tsp of Powdered sugar
- Sieve twice of the almond powder to get fine powder.
- In an electric stand mixer with paddle attachment,add all the ingredients as given.Mix everything
- Mix well and scrap all the sides to get the dough.
- Continue mixing till it gets to form the dough
- Knead the dough for few times to get sure that all the mixture gets incorporated.
- Form the dough into 1 flat patty.
- Wrap the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate it for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F .
For Roll and cut the cookies with the help of any shape as you like.I used small heat cookie and medium cookie cutter.
- Allow the cookie dough to be set at room temperature.
- Take wax paper or plastic wrap make a length of rectangle shaped
- On a working surface place the lined wax paper,put the dough on it and keep the lined wax paper on the top.
- Using rolling pin roll the dough gently to get thin rectangular.
- Peel off the top of the wax paper gently.
- Dip the medium heart cookie cutter with flour and press it into the dough to get the desired shape.
- Again take the small heart cookie cutter,press it to get small heart out from the medium heart shaped.
- Remaining dough take out the medium heart cookie cutter and press it to get medium cookie heart shaped
- Place the medium heart cookie on ungreased baking sheet and bake it for about 10 to 12 mins and Allow to rotate half of the time or you see the edges of the cookie get light brown.
- Allow it to cool on the cooling rack
- Again place the medium with heart cut on the center of the cookie and allow it to bake for about 5 to 8 mins or the edges gets brown.
- Allow it to cool.
- Reheat the jam to the microwave oven for about 30 seconds
- Take a medium cookie ,spread the jam on the later of single cookie.
- Place the medium cut out cookie on the layered jam of the medium cookie.It is sandwiched between the cookies.
- Dust it with powdered sugar(I didn't use it )
- It is best served as a snack or have a cup of tea
Linking this to Swathi of Baking partners challenge - Cookies for Valentine's Day!!!