Saturday, August 18, 2012

Basbousa An Egyptian Semolina Cake

Hi Friends

Do you know Why I made this. :) because I watched The Mummy Returns Movie again and again :) Liked it and also visited King Tut Museum, New York.It was very fantastic and known everything about their life and histories.After  NY trip, I had painted one of the Egyptian Paintings  :) Its just on my own :)I had enjoyed seeing movie, known interesting facts about Egypt and I want to try something new which we never heard of! So finally found an Egyptian Dessert called as "Basbousa" :)


Basbousa is an Egyptian dessert made up of Semolina soaked in sweet flavored syrup and garnished with nuts. It is so tempting :) Here is the recipe as below


Ingredients:


Dry Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup of semolina
  • 1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 cup Grated coconut mixed with 1 Tablespoon sugar or Sweetened Desiccated coconut
  • 1/2  cup sugar
Wet Ingredients:
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract or 1/4 to 1/2 Tsp Almond Extract
  • 1/2 cup  milk
  • 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
Notes : Replace the egg by substituting 1/2 cup Condensed milk and no need to add sugar. 
For Syrup:
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup  sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 1/2 to 1  tablespoon of Rose water or Orange Flower Water.
Method:

  1.  For making the semolina cake,
  • First add all the dry ingredients and mix well by using whisker.
  • Mix all the wet ingredients until it is well combined.
  • Pour the Wet mixture to the dry ingredient mixture and mix well until it is well combined and no lumps.
  • Preheat the oven to 350F or 180 C
  • Grease the butter or baking spray to the 6 Inch or 8 inch round pan or Square pan 9 inch.(I had used 6 inch round pan)
  • Pour the batter to the greased baking pan and spread it evenly.
  • Take a knife and try to make it into any desired shape 
  • Bake it for about 30 to 35 Minutes or until a tooth pick is cleaned.
  • Allow it to cool.
2. For Preparing the Syrup
  • In a saucepan ,mix all the ingredients and heat it on Medium high flame
  • Reaches it until boiling point.
  • It forms a string consistency.
  • Once simmering into low flame for about 10 minutes,
  • Add Rose water or orange flower water
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Allow it to cool.
  •  Pour it into the measuring cup for easy to handle and helps to pour it evenly.
3.Pouring the Syrup to the cooled cake.
  • Pour the thickened sugar syrup to the semolina cake evenly.
4.Serving
  • Retrace and cut into diamond shaped cake and garnish it with almonds or pistachios or dessicated coconut on the top if you want
  • Serve it :)
Here is the image of Basbousa Semolina Cake






16 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe. Would love to try these :D. Where's the painting? You should've shared with us. You are very talented. Keep up the good work.
    xo
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words.
    I would like to see your painting...you have made us inquisitive ;)
    I'm following you...
    Take care and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will try this soon... Looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make it too..it tastes really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious Babousa Archana, I love to buy from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not explore Egyptian cuisine before. Your Egyptian semolina cake looks wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have done very well with your cakes Achu, I have to sit and watch mummy every time it comes on TV like a punishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious cake...Perfectly prepared..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious :) Have never heard of the name. Very attractive dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had made it, a very simple but really a yummy cake.

    Yours looks lovely........

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in


    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to make this tomorrow. Could you let me know ASAP why do you need to separate the semolina to '1/4 plus 1/2 cup semolina'? Looking forward to hearing from you real soon as preparing the ingredients for tomorrow. Thanks heaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sheela you add 3/4 cup semolina as I updated it. Sorry for confusion.enjoy And tell me how does it taste after you baked :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! :) I look forward to hearing from you of any commrnts on my blog ,suggestions and requests Please follow my blog..
Feel free to email me @ tangymindsachu@gmail.com