Wishing you very Happy Independence Day! Jai Hind!!!! Be proud to be An INDIAN!!! :)
I made very special pastry baked dish TART with Tri color theme color on it. I want to make it from our own country spices and nuts so selected Kesar Saffron for Orange color, Cashewnuts/Almonds for White color and Pistachio for Green color.It reminds me since childhood memories :) Used to enjoy colorful foods made by my mom.My mom used to make tarts as its used with an aluminum tart cups.
I called it as TRI COLOR FLAG TARTS!!!! Made with Shortbread tart with colorful Cream Cheese Frosting:)
Here is the recipe as below ..Its Eggless Tricolor Flag Tart :)
1.For Making ShortBread Tart
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter(Room Temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Powdered/Icing sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Corn flour/Corn starch
- 1/4 Tsp Salt.
2.For Making Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1- 8 ounces Cream Cheese( Room Temperature)
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Powdered Sugar or depends on your sweetness. or 1 can 14 Ounces Condensed milk.
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Outer rind Lemon Zest(Optional)
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice from 2 Lemons(Optional)
3. For Adding Colors to the Cream cheese.
3.1 For Kesar Saffron.
- Put 2 or 3 threads of saffron into the warm milk(1/2 Tsp) and Set aside.
- For getting an orange color, Add a pinch of Kesar color with warm milk/orange juice.mix well.
- Combine both saffron soaked milk and kesar color mixture to it and mix well.
3.2 For White color
- Chop Cashew nuts or Almonds( About 1/4 cup)
3.3 For Green Color
- Chop pistachios or coarsely fine (About 1/4 cup)
- A Food Green color(A pinch)
- Using Hand mixer, Beat the sugar and butter together till it gets pale yellow color for about 2 minutes.
- Add Vanilla Extract to it and mix well
- Sift the Flour,Corn flour/corn starch to it.
- Add the salt to it
- Mix well until it is combined.
- The dough should be very soft and able to form a ball.
- If it is still wet,then cover the dough into the bowl and keep in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Make a ball at least ping pong ball or lemon shaped ball.
- Take a Mini muffin pan..apply butter on to the sides and base.
- Put each and every ball on to the muffin pan.
- Press it gently with your index finger to make a cup shaped as given in photo
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Wrap it with plastic wrap and set to the Freezer for about 15 minutes
- Take out the pan from the freezer and place it on the center of the oven rack for about 5 minutes or until it is puffed up.
- Take out the pan using oven gloves.
- Pierce the center by using fork lightly.
- Return the pan back to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.Keep an eye watch.It should not be over bake and too much brown.
- Once it is baked until light brown
- Take out and keep it on the cooling rack.
- Once cooled, Take out the tart by using flat knife or turn upside down.
- Set aside.
- In a food processor or hand mixer,Beat the cream cheese to it and add powdered sugar or condensed milk to it.
- Make sure it should not be too much runny.just pulse it
- Add the lemon juice,lemon zest and vanilla extract to it
- Pulse it until well combined.
- Transfer it into the box with tight fitting lid.
- Set aside to the fridge for about 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
Note: You can prepare the cream cheese a day before if you wish.
For Adding the colors to the Cream Cheese After the cream cheese it firm!
- Divide the cream cheese into 3 bowls. Each bowl should have at least 1/4 cup of cream cheese
- Add the orange color to the cream cheese bowl
- Combine the 2nd bowl white cream cheese with chopped or coarsely almonds/powdered cashew nuts.
- Add the pistachios to the 3rd bowl white cream cheese and add green color to it. Mix well.
- Put the colored cream cheese into 3 piping bags.Decorate it.
For Assembling the tarts:
- Once the tart is cooled.
- Take 4 or 5 tarts Pipe the orange color frosting on the tart.
- Repeat the same step as above step 2 for white color and green color frosting
- Garnish it with your choice by adding fruits on the top.
- Serve it :)
Here is my Tricolor Flag Tart picture :)
Happy Independence Day and Happy Baking!!!
Awaiting to hear your comments :) and try it at home :)
Linking this entry to