Here I had remembered Mango pudding that my mother used to make it and serve chill.It was so mangolicious :) It is purely originated from India.It has ground rice (either Basmati rice or jasmine rice) mixed along with milk and India's tropical favorite fruit is mango.:) It goes great for any occasions. Why I made this dessert is because I am wishing my parents very happy anniversary and it is special dessert for my parents who cooked it for me when as a child :). Here is the recipe follows. I followed the method by my mom and also watched you tube video on Sanjeev Kapoor. It looks like an exact Mango Phirni.
Video Source adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor Master Chef series..
It is easy to see the video on how to make an exact like mine.
Recipe Source: My Mother's Cookbook (Her notes)
- 3 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened Mango puree
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice or Jasmine Rice
- Few drops of Rose water. (Optional) You can replace by adding few strands of saffron into the warm milk.
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 Cup Mango cubes.
- Few Almonds sliced ones
- Few Pistachios
- Few Mango cubes.
- Allow basmati rice to soak for about 30 minutes in a bowl.
- Grind the basmati rice into a coarse without adding water to it.
- Pour the 2 cups of milk into the medium saucepan and allow it to heat on medium flame. Keep stirring to avoid brown in the bottom.
- Put the coarse basmati rice into the remaining 1 cup of cold milk and stir well to avoid lumps.
- Make sure there are no lumps inside it.Stir well and keep aside.
- Once the milk is about to start boiling,let it put simmer on medium low flame and keep stirring.
- Add the coarse rice milk mixture to the boiling milk and whisk it well. Add sugar to it.
- The milk gets thickened after it is stirred well and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the cardamom powder.
- Allow it to cool at the room temperature.
- Take your favorite glass or serving bowl or ramekin.
- Add the mango puree to the pudding milk mixture and mix well until it is well combined.
- Add the mango cubes to the mango pudding mixture.
- Transfer into the serving glass and garnish it with mango cubes and nuts of your choice.Allow it to chill in the fridge for about 1 hour or it is set chilled one.
- Garnish it with the top of nuts and mango pieces.
- It is best to serve chilled today as it is the best time.
Happy Mangodelicious day!
Mango Series By Viji and Gats
Linking this entry to Foodabulous Fest- April Series organised by Preeti and Hosted By Pramitha's Love Cooking